- The role of the board in creating a high performance organisation. John Roberts and Don Young, Performance and Reward Centre, 2005. Demonstrates the detrimental effects of a combination of corporate governance and investor pressures on the roles and functioning of the boards of large quoted companies. Rich with unattributable quotes from real top managers.
- Review of the role and effectiveness of non-executive directors. DTI London, 2002. The Higgs Report - full of practical suggestions, received with apoplexy in some circles.
- A study in studying corporate boards over time: looking backwards to look forwards. A. Pye, British Journal of Management, 2001.
Is what it says on the tin.
- McNulty, Roberts and Stiles. Creating accountability in the boardroom: The work of the effective non-executive director. Research for the DTI and Treasury sponsored Higgs Report.
- Having Their Cake.Don Young and Pat Scott. Kogan Page 2004. Chapter 3, Management. Review of top managers and boards, by those who have been there and done it.
- C. Carter, J.Lorsch - Back to the Drawing Board. Designing corporate boards for a complex world. Lorsch is always good value.